Canon P in the City


The Canon P (Populiare)is a Leica screw mount rangefinder made from 1958 to 1961 with 35, 50, 100 frame lines, I bought it off my friend John Meadows a few months ago and it was a wise purchase. I took the Canon 50 f1.4 M-39 lens off my Leica M4-2 and it felt like the perfect marriage. Anyone who has shot with a Leica III series screw mount camera will appreciate the stupid easy film loading, just open the back like a SLR. I only have two Leica (M-39) screw mount lenses, my Canon 50 f1.4 and the Voightlander 35 f2.5 Color Skopar lens. On my immediate acquisition list is a 1960s production Canon 50 F1.8 which from what I read is a "Double Gauss" lens design and 100mm F3.5 telephoto. Ok, if some really well paying project work rolled in for my day job in marketing communications, a Canon 35 F2 wide angle lens.

Wandering around Toronto I was happy with just the Canon 50 f1.4 lens which has earned the nickname "The Japanese Summilux" with Leica shooters. Shooting with a rangefinder is totally different experience than with a SLR of any vintage. You can shoot with both eyes open so you can track the action you are trying to capture on film. I was shooting on a bright sunny day downtown where you had both bright sunlight and the shade, the viewfinder was great for both conditions, I didn't lose the focusing patch.


Camera: Canon P, Canon 50 f1.4 LTM lens.
Film: Kodak Tmax 400, TMAX Dev 1+4.

Canon P

Leaving Platform 26-27

The York St. Stairs

The Bronze Herd

King St. Cabs

Grilled Street Meat

504 Parliament Car

Crossing York At Adelaide_


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.