I am always trying things out for size. I mixed up a five litre batch of Kodak Xtol film developer and tried it out with a roll of Plus X. I took the photos around Oakville with my Minolta XE-7 on a bike ride this morning. I tried developing with 1+1 dilution with water but I think in the future I will go with stock solution. Xtol does have the reputation of crapping out on you when you least expect it. Most likely with an important roll of film.

What I like about it, smooth tonality, very low grain, easy to mix up with room tempreture water. What I don't like,I don't know I will have to get back to you on it. I think the fear of stock solution failure is overblown but I will have to wait and see. I think I prefer the D76 gallon size and cost and I have a high comfort level with everyone's standby developer.

I do plan to try Xtol out with Kodak Tri-x at 400 ISO. This developer also has really good pushing properties. I am experimenting in the near future.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.