Will I ever go Digital?

That is the eternal debate in my head as an analogue photographer, will I go digital at some point? With the recent release of the Nikon Df  left me looking at that question. On the surface, this camera was made for me, a full frame DSLR with a flagship grade sensor, no video capability (not really interested in video), manual controls and the ability to use Nikkor Ai and Non Ai lenses which I have plenty of.

Now there's the challenge, the camera is retailing for about $3000 in Canada and I estimate I would have to spend another $1500 to get up to speed. So ok $4500, that's a lot of coin, in fact I can buy a Nikon FM3a which is the last manual focus film camera Nikon made in house (the FM10 is made by Cosina) and a supply of black and white film and chemicals to keep me going until the year 2024. So what would have I to buy along with the Df to be in the "digital" world? My shopping list would include multiple terabyte external hard drives because RAW files are big memory pigs, auxiliary speed light flash and they are not cheap and decent memory cards.

I love shooting film for it's look both on the computer screen as a scanned negative or in a print be it inkjet or printed in a darkroom. The reality is at some point I'm going to need a digital camera for some situations like event photography and in some cases travel.  As cool as it is, the Df's MSRP is about $1000 too expensive in my mind. Also there is no split screen for manual focus or even the focus peaking feature which is another strike against the camera.

For now I'm sitting tight and seeing what else comes out. 

Comments

WeeDram said…
Bill,

I think you are spot on -- the economics of high-spec digital cameras that can make use of existing lenses does not make sense for amateurs unless they are pretty wealthy.

I have come to the conclusion that for me I will probably eventually invest in a compact m4/3 or perhaps APS-C system. I only need a few primes, and current offerings even of modest price are high quality. In my case my home network is being upgraded with lots of storage to also accommodate media.

I'm not sure when I will make the step, but first I need to thin out my OM gear, invest in an M4-P as a walk-around RF.
Bill Smith said…
Hi Wee Dram,

Here's the deal, I still plan to shoot mostly film until they stop making the stuff. I do however need a digital system for more immediate work and some travel.

Now I was in a local Henrys recently and got a chance to hold the Df, along with the Sony A7 and the new Olympus OMD-EM1. Of all of them, if was buying say this week, I would take the OMD-EM1, the M4/3 sensor it has is on par with APS-C sensors now, I like the fact it's compact and the specs are really, really good.

I wouldn't divest of all your film OM gear, that's a great system in its own right, I have a bunch of OM bodies and Zuiko lenses and some of my best photos have been taken with them. I would also say good call with the Leica M4-P, I own a M4-2 along with a M3 and they great for walk around RF shooting.

Popular posts from this blog

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.