Oxtongue Falls

I usually love shooting waterfalls, Oxtongue Falls just outside of Algonquin Park proved to be a challenge. Finding a decent locations to take a decent photo was tricky as was dealing with a number of tourists.

At the top of the falls proved challenging, I prefer not to have a bunch of people walking behind me while I have a camera set up on a tripod centimetres away from the rock ledge with a metre drop into very fast moving water at the top of the falls.

Confession here, I have a fear of heights, don't ask me how I painted houses as a summer job during university so long ago. Being up a ladder cutting in on a second story window is one thing,  being nudged by a clumsy tourist who wants a slightly closer look and taking a spill into the Oxtongue River and going over the falls is something else.

After getting my shot I retreated away from the top of the falls to safer ground. Next year if the group comes back here I'm shooting from the bottom of the falls. Call it for what it is, I want the shot but I don't want it that bad at the risk of certain death if I'm really clumsy or lose balance.

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like you needed space to complete a task either at work or in your own pursuits?


Camera: Nikon F3HP, various Nikkor Lenses with a 8x Neutral density filter
Film: Kodak Portra 400

Scan-131013-0002

Be the Water

Upper Rapids at Ragged Falls Provincial Park

Scan-131013-0005

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.