Up to the Smith Cottage on Lake Simcoe with a Visit to Cannington.

This is a photo heavy post, you have been warned.

I wound up at the Smith family cottage on Lake Simcoe near Beaverton a few weeks ago. While I have been to Cannington multiple times, and Beaverton twice including this trip, I've never been to Morningside Cottage.  It has been in the family for a century roughly and it the current guardians are my cousins Wendy and Leslie. When I arrived, even though I've never been up here before, I felt at home and looking out onto Lake Simcoe put a big dumb grin on my face and feeling happy.

The cottage itself is a classic cottage for Lake Simcoe and largely intact save for some tasteful renovations to the bathroom and kitchen along with upgraded electrical work and heating. Otherwise Morningside is the same as it was in the 1940s and '50s. If there is one downside, right across the street is Canadian National's main line between Toronto and Vancouver and  even though it's busy, after a while, you stop noticing. Consideing both my granddad and great uncle worked for Canadian National in marketing and freight operations respectively, kind of fitting, unless you're sleeping in a room in the front of the cottage the first night.

 In the past few years I've been reconnecting and in some cases connecting with cousins for the first time and have been learning a lot about family history. I finally found out where my great granddad's house was but it was the wrong time of the day to photograph it with the sun behind it. I'm back up this way in early October and I'll get a great shot then.

Kodak Pro Image 100, this film LOVES bright sun, but for some reason there was a system off Georgian Bay/Lake Huron that wasn't forecast and we got some drizzle and overcast skies for an hour or two. Pro Image 100 can handle overcast skies but as mentiond it loves full strength sun.


Camera: Minolta XE-7, MC Rokkor X 50 f1.4 lens,  28 f2.8 lens.
Film: Kodak Pro Image 100.

Looking up the Cedarhurst Shores

On the Dock at Morningside Cottage

Lake Simcoe from the Backyard II

Morningside Cottage

Blackwater Bic-a-Brac Shoppe

Concession Road 11 Brock Township

Cannington Train Station and Caboose

Cannington Sign_

Blacksmith Shop From Across the Street

Cannington Vacencies_

Cannington Sign Needs some Love

Dollar Mart and Bollards

Downtown Cannington Looking East on Cameron_

Holy Grounds and Eatery

WILD Garden

Cannington Convenience

House with Partial Wrap Around Balcony

Cannington Home Hardware




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.