Exploring my Ghost City

What's a ghost city?

I've lived in Southern Ontario for the past 39 years, and I remember places that no longer exist. Like a really cool old school pizza joint at the corner of Bathurst and Queen that got replaced by a Pizza Pizza (corporate trumps indie in commercial real estate these days), I can't quite remember when, some time in the 1990s.

The focus in this case is Liberty Village and King St. West. I was in town in early August to meet with my friend from Paulette, we reconnected at a recent Toronto Film Shooters photo walk and I knew her from APUG.org and Elevator, she had an idea for a podcast I'm not going to dish yet other than keep an eye out for #DefendTheDarkroom. It's not about darkrooms per se, you will just have to wait for more details to follow.

Liberty Village today is home to massive condo developments, what I would call the cool technology business, advertising and PR agencies that didn't want to be up on Bloor St or just further east on King St. closer to the downtown core. I remember a different Liberty Village from over 25 years ago. a neighbourhood full of artist lofts. and abandoned industrial spaces and one working bakery. Seven Fraser Avenue was a nexus for a lot of decadence and debauchery with parties featuring my friends' band Lorded and some DJ's in hindsight I wish I had a Digital Audio Tape or reel to reel recorder to record the sets and I'm thankful social media was still a decade off.

Today it's just legend, and the neighbourhood is now home to head offices for Zoomer Media, Sirus XM, Rakutan, Joe Fresh, architecture and design firms, integrated communciations agenices, and a whole load of condos.


Camera: Nikon F2S, Nikkor Pre Ai lenses.
Film: Fomapan 400, HC110 B.


Corner of Atlantic and Liberty August 2019 2

Ivy Covered Corner of Atlantic and Liberty

Atlantic Avenue Detail_

Looking Down Fraser Ave

Frazer Avenue Ivy Covered Windows

Looking Further Down Fraser Avenue

7 Fraser Avenue_

Southeast Corner of the Carpet Factory

Carpet Factory Loading Dock

Loading Zone Only

Carpet Factory Windows

Carpet Factory Windows II

Carpet Factory Windows and Walkway

Ivy Covere Walls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.