New Film" CatLab Film 80 X


New film, yes it's really a new emulsion, coated and finished somewhere, we just don't know where. The who behind this is CatLabs of JP camera store in Massachusetts just outside of Boston, and they commissioned a new film that has the look of the long departed Kodak Panatomic X into a new emulsion that is relatively faster at 80 ISO as opposeed to the original's 32 ISO. The news behind Film 80 X crossed my news feeds via Instagram as I follow the store and they up a shot of a bunch 120 rolls of the film. I had to order 10 rolls to see what the fuss is about.

First off Film 80 X is available in any film format as long as it's 120. Medium format shooters will be really happy. I put a roll through my Rolleiflex on a super sunny early May Sunday afternoon and photographed around Oakville's waterfront. I shot at box speed and processed in Ilford's ID-11 with a 1+1 dillution for 15 minutes along with a four minute presoak all at 20c.

I was blown away. I recently upgraded to a 27" iMac with a Retina screen and I didn't see grain. Retina screens are quie ruthless at showing flaws in the emulsion, grain (good and bad) and any spacejunk you didn't wipe off the scanner or the negative. I get why my friend Alex Luykx loves Panatomic X, It hasn't been made in years but now you get a chance to buy a new film that gives you a look at a more manageable speed. Now you can only buy the film online at CatLabs of JP and a ten pack of film with shipping included is around $105 CAD. Pretty cool for a boutique film and CatLabs of JP should be supported for going out on a limb and making this.

Some tips for processing, so far I've only done ID-11, so you're safe with D76 as well, I think HC110 might work well too. Do the pre soak for about three to five minutes. CatLabs used Shanghai backing paper and it has a reputation of leaving a residue behind, so pre soak. Other than that,  process like you would process any traditional grained film in a small tank.

Camera: Rolleflex Series E 3.5 Planar TLR.
Film: CatLabs Film 80 X, ID-11 1+1.

Towne Square on Sunday

People by a Calm Lake Ontario

Busy Sunday in Lakeside Park

Around the Light Beacon

Sue 1

Getting the Masts Back Up at the OYC


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.